The Responsibilities of Every Manufacturer
Packaging sustainability has created a buzz recently. In the recent years, companies have showed interest in improving their processes, techniques and overall practices which affect our planet.
In an article on Packaging News, Cera Packaging stated that “The challenge when it comes to sustainability is balancing the demand and needs of the modern consumer with the concerns of a planet with already strained resources and irreversible environmental damage.” We couldn’t have said it better ourselves.
How Connect improved their processes
Every business should have industrial objectives in place that address environmental concerns to the life cycle of packaging and some strategies to reduce their ecological footprint. As a manufacturer, Connect Packaging continue to invest in their state-of-art facilities as part of the improvement programme. Investments such as a new water filtration system which is able to filter up to 4m3 of wash waters per 8 hours will ultimately help the company save on waste disposal and maintenance costs.
The acquisition of four new forklifts also help Connect improve their efficiency. The aim is to increase operational efficiency, safety and handle more capacity effectively. The forklifts are small, but very compact machines offering great lifting and loading capabilities, ensuring an efficient and easy operation in Connect’s warehouse and storage facilities.
What is the Definition of Sustainable Packaging?
The organisation Sustainable Packaging Coalition describe the criteria sustainable packaging needs to meet*:
- Is beneficial, safe and healthy for individuals and communities throughout its life cycle
- Meets market criteria for performance and cost
- Is sourced, manufactured, transported and recycled using renewable energy
- Optimises the use of renewable or recycled source materials
- Is manufactured using clean production technologies and best practices
- Is made from materials healthy throughout the life cycle
- Is physically designed to optimise materials and energy
- Is effectively recovered and utilised in biological and/or industrial closed loop cycle
If you are interested in attending a leading conference which brings together top decision makers in the packaging value chain to develop sustainable solutions, SustPack 2017 might be what you are looking for. To read more information about the conference, please visit: http://www.sustainablepackaging.org/events/details.aspx?eventid=10175